Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2022

1/8/2022

Today I fenced off a patch of ground on the south edge of the property.  On the path from the back chicken yard to the front, I roughed up a patch of ground underneath the grapevines and female kiwi beside the wood shed.  Here, I planted 3 types of rice, basmati on the west, jasmine in the middle, and sweet brown on the east end.  Intermixed with the rice, i added some onion bulbs, lettuce, kale and carrots as a test.  The rice is to harvest, the rice straw is for mulch, and I'd like to see whether the veggies can grow in their midst.  The One Straw Revolution method of farming with nature utilizes more space, keeping the grain separate and growing the vegetables in the orchard.  Our orchard shares space with chickens, so we are trying a different combination.  

Another accomplishment today was a hokey repair to the side yard deer fence and boundary suggestion to the chickens.  Deer are not wanted in, and chickens are disinvited to venture out.  


While I'm not exactly proud of it, I am satisfied that it will do the trick until something better comes along.  A real live gate would be good.  Soon, we will have two heat pumps located  back here and the grapevine next to the house will be removed.  It is being rooted elsewhere to provide the ability to cut it back without losing significant foliage. 

Also I looked at the seed chart.  It says to plant tomatoes in the greenhouse in february (with rapid global climate change, it is suggested that we skip to the next month).  Also on the docket is basically everything.  Peppers, eggplant, and all the cool weather crops like bok choi, lettuces, kale of course, and whatnot.  I prepped a little for this, getting pots out and looking through the seeds.  Next on the agenda is to mark the pots, fill with compost soil and plant the seeds! 

Hopefully when I do that, I will take pictures.  Today, my phone was on the charger.  

Last thing I did today was tried to pick some greens.  Finally, there aren't any.  So I did scatter some carrot and celery seeds in row 1 a & b and also row 11.  Picked some weeds and used them for mulch, cleaned up some old beet leaves and random vegetation.  We'll see if the birds eat all these :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Watering Protocol

 Some buckets have been placed out to fill with water.  The goal is to capture water, obviously, but the hazard is that they will freeze and...