Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2022

1/9/2022

Today I applied myself a bit more, and found some salad!  First of all, I looked in the greenhouse.  It was impossible to not get distracted by the tired, sad pepper plants.  The soil is not dry, but most of their leaves are wilting nonetheless.  There is no fruit, and there are no flowers, it is just time.  They have now been removed. 

        
     
Tired Peppers
With the exception of this one!  It has little peppers on it, and its leaves are not wilted.  It gets to live for a bit longer.  As an aside, at one point I transplanted some mustard from the garden aisle between rows 1 & 2.  There are now 10 mustard plants in the greenhouse which are doing fairly well, and one which looks like it might not make it.    

 

After looking in the greenhouse, I wandered out into the garden and found some endive in the aisle right when you walk through the gate. 
This is what you see when you stand in the east aisle looking south.  On the left is bed 8, the artichoke bed.  On the right are strawberry rows 6 and 7.  In the aisle here, amongst the weeds, are an edible culinary plant/weed.  It looks to me like Zamboni broccoli, a side-shooting variety.  It also looks like some sort of Asian green.  Either way, it can be eaten raw or cooked.  I'm going to try some in a salad mix and see how that goes.  Will keep you posted!
This is the east end of row 4; same or similar Asian/Zamboni stuff in the bed and also in the aisle at the end of the bed.  Let's eat it!

Salad includes some fennel, parsley, celery leaves (which I later decided to feed to the chickens, but haven't yet.  Yesterday I did scatter some celery seeds in the covered row 1 and also potato row 11, so let's see if we can get some new celery plants going)!  Anyway, salad also has kale from greenhouse, and a few mustard greens.

After this, I set about planting some seeds in 4" pots in the greenhouse.  To start, I got out the pots and selected some seeds from the list to which I refer often, from the Down to Earth garden center.  Using a white grease pencil, I labeled the pots with today's date and what will be planted there.


 







Next I collected and sifted some compost soil into Little Red the wheelbarrow.  

After filling the pots, I put about 5 seeds in each pot and covered them with vermiculite, which holds moisture and helps seeds germinate better.






















                             The pots have seeds and now get covered with vermiculite

Finally, they are placed in the greenhouse on a seedling heating mat to keep them a little extra warm.  This will make them dry out more quickly, so they will need monitored more frequently until it is observed how long it takes for them to need water.












This flat is the one which was already in there.  The kale has been transplanted.  Slugs have actually eaten the baby leaves off many of them.  I'm not sure these will make it. 
 While in the garden my curiosity got the better of me.  In the house, I'm making some veggie pumpkin curry soup and I thought some chard leaves would be good.  Since I also added some potatoes, a beet  and some carrots to it, i figured some chard leaves would go well.  Curious and inspired, I decided to dig up the whole root and see if it is any good. 

In a bucket of water, I soaked and washed the root and took it inside for further investigation.  Of course I didn't take a picture, but it is now produce.  Since the soup is essentially done, I figure I'll boil it up proper and we'll eat it with butter and salt so we can really see what it tastes like. 

That was the day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Watering Protocol

 Some buckets have been placed out to fill with water.  The goal is to capture water, obviously, but the hazard is that they will freeze and...