Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2022

01-22-2022

 

 Today I decided to transplant the whatever-they-are-greens from the aisle by the artichoke bed.  

They are on the north (left-hand) side of the trellis in the middle.

12 or so are hiding in this picture.  I mulched with old pea stalks and weeds, which makes the plants more difficult to see while they're so small.
To the left of the big chard, there are more of these mystery greens.  I ran out of mulch, it was cold, and I was hungry, so the mulch can be added later?

 
The first section of the bed (2B, north side) was the last planted.  By this time, I was losing my enthusiasm to hunger and cold, so it's not work I'm terribly proud of.  However, if the greens live, and grow, I will eat them and be happy.

Today I also spent a little while cleaning up the artichoke bed.  Observations I made during this process are that nature likes to decay old vegetation by making it slimy and waterlogged.  How is the soil prevented from becoming anaerobic?  is it because the stalks are still standing in place as they begin to decompose?  This sure does provide an excellent habitat for slugs, of which I harvested and fed to the chickens.  They LOVED it!  

I really want to clean up all these old stalks

After cleaning up the old stalks, I mulched the ground with them.  This will either work really well, or be a colossal mess...  We'll see!


This entire flat is of MAESTRO pea, not Alderman.  They are mislabeled, FYI



No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Watering Protocol

 Some buckets have been placed out to fill with water.  The goal is to capture water, obviously, but the hazard is that they will freeze and...